Storytelling and Gaming 1

 For this storytelling and gaming project, I have decided that I wish to make a text-based adventure game because I frequently enjoy playing and there are surprisingly immersive stories that have been told via this medium such as with modern examples in text-based MMORPGs that I know of and have played such as TORN, Written Realms and AI Dungeon and then there are also the classics which I have less familiarity with such as Zork, Oregon Trail and Dungeon.

The program I use to make my game will most likely be Twine as it has a Node-based browser version. I will have to learn it but I think a lot of this challenge will be understanding what makes a text-based High-Fantasy game fun and engaging to the player. Do I wanted the Player to play as themself or a pre-made character as they roleplay. Do I want combat encounters that use number and other RPG mechanics or just a choice that the player comes to like in 'Choose your own Adventure Books'?

Either way, I will also have to do a lot of research regarding this topic; reading and watching of genre icons such as Lord of the Rings, Dragonlance, Elric, maybe Conan the Barbarian and even Beowulf a little which, though all are slightly differenmt, represent the setting and story I wish to go for. There is also some wider reading that I have already done such as with the Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition Sourcebook 'Dungeon Master's Guide' which has chapters that go over all the different types of Fantasy settings you can have. Off the top of my head (Though there will be a separate Blog Post about it) some terms thrown around are 'Low-Magic', 'Political Intrigue', 'Sword n' Sorcery', 'Dark-Fantasy' , 'War', 'Wuxia' etc. which all offer slightly different narrative focuses and representations of conceptually similar fictional settings.



Wizards of the Coast (2014) D&D 5e dungeon master’s guide, Internet Archive. Available at: https://archive.org/details/dungeon-masters-guide/Dungeon%20Master%27s%20Guide/page/n1/mode/2up pp. Cover, 38–41. (Accessed: 01 May 2024).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Storytelling and Gaming 3

Independent Project #9

First time on illustrator